- October 2 2023 — LRB panel on the Iliad with Emily Wilson, Juliet Sttevenson and Tobias Menzies.
- October 10 2023 — Zoom lecture to Notre Dame University London on women in tragedy.
- October 11 2023 — Lecture at Newcastle University on Classics in England’s North-East.
- October 14 2023 — Panel with Jennifer Saint on Myth and fiction at Durham Book Fair.
- October 20 2023 — Virtual lecture to Harvard University Law students on Aristophanes’ Wasps.
- October 26 2023 — Talk to Durham University Classics Society on the Iliad.
- November 6 2023 — Chair virtual panel on Retellings of ancient myths hosted by British School at Athens.
- November 9 2023 — Talk on Hippocrates to Royal College of Physicians
- November 14 2023 — Interview Mary Beard at Newcastle Book Fair.
- November 16 2023 — Virtual Classical Association lecture
- November 20 2023 — Talk with Magdalena Zira on Dido at Oxford APGRD.
- November 21 2023 — Panel on political oratory at Manchester Dash Arts
- December 15-16 2023 — Convene Durham conference The Afterlives of the Aeneid’s Women with Dr Magdalena Zira.
- January 29 2024 — Venizelos Chair lecture at American College of Greece, Athens.
- February 29 2024 — Lecture on Medea to Lytham St. Anne’s Classical Association.
- April 4 2024 — Lecture at University of Chicago.
- April 5 2024 — Lecture at Northwestern University, Illinois.
- April 9 2024 — Lecture at Brandeis University.
- April 10 2024 — Lecture at Brown University.
- April 11 2024 — Lecture at Wesleyan University.
- April 22-23 2024 — Paper on Sophocles’ Antigone at Aveiro conference, Portugal.
- March 26-29 2025 — International Conference on Aristotle Beyond the Academy convened at Durham University
- August 23-25 2025 — Paper at Entretiens Hardt conference on Plato’s Republic.
- September 19-21 2023 — keynote lecture at Tbilisi conference on the Reception of the Caucasus.
- 15 September 2023 — Lecture at St Andrews Centre for Ancient Environmental Studies on Homer’s Iliad.
- 29-30 August 2023 — Paper at Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment conference, Liverpool.
- August 1 2023 — Talk on Classics in North-East England to Whitley Bay Rotary Club.
- July 19 2023 — Convene first virtual conference for Aristotle Beyond the Academy project.
- July 11-15 2023 — Lead Travelgems Retreat on Greek Tragedy at Nafplion and Epidauros.
- July 7-8 2023 — convene conference at Durham on Classics in the North-East of England
- June 29 2023 — Pre-Performance talk at Greenwood Theatre before KCL Greek Play
- May 25th 2023 — Convene Durham Workshop on Classics and Class in the North-East
- 5-6 May 2023 — talk at Patras conference on Euripides’ Trojan Women.
- 19 April 2023 — talk to Southport & Birkdale Classical Association.
- 17 April 2023 — Virtual Launch of Leverhulme-Funded Aristotle Beyond The Academy project.
- 25 March 2023 Post-Performance Speaker after Helen Eastman’s production of Lesja Ukrainka’s Cassandra, North Wall, Oxford.
- 23 March 2023 Panel on History of Birkbeck College London.
- 17 March 2023 Kwan Laurel Lecture, Ateneo University, Manila, ‘Aristotle, Women and Greek Tragedy’
- 8 March 2023 International Women’s Day talk on Medea and Patriarchy, KCL Classics Society
- 17 February 2023 Lecture on New Directions in Aristotelian Research at Northwestern University, Illinois.
- 16 February 2023 Lecture on Vergil’s Dido at Chicago University
- 15 February 2023 talk on Aristotle at New York Academy of Sciences.
- 10 February 2023 pre-performance talk on Plato’s Symposium at UCL.
- 4 February 2023 Talk on the Iliad and Ecocriticism at Oxford University Classics Society
- 11 January 2023 Paper at Durham University Seminar on Environmentalism and the Iliad
- 10 January 2023 Rawdon Community Library lecture, Leeds, on Aristotle
- 15-17 December 2022 Lecture at Mainz conference Classics in Political Discourse on the reception of Achilles’ Shield from the Cold War
- 5 December 2022: Speaker at Aeon’s Goddess event, St Martin’s in the Fields
- 23-26 November Lecture at Athens Academy conference on the Eco-Politics of the Iliad.
- 11 November 2022 address to Western Front Association on Armistice Day.
- 28th October 2022 talk on survivors of bereavement by suicide in Greek tragedy at Durham conference “Body, Mind and Medicine: Forms of Mental Illness and their Consequences in the Ancient World and Today”
- 12-14 October 2022 lectures on the Greeks & the Sea and Women and Religion to Ancient Greece: people and polis A history symposium in Taunton
- 6th October 2022 paper at Durham Departmental Seminar on Classics in the North-East: Preliminary Outlines.
- 29-30 September 2022 virtual Lecture at Aveiro, Portugal, conference on Achilles’ Fury and the Faces of War.
- 22 September 2022, Talk on timber in the Iliad to Liverpool CA.
- 10 September 2022, Event at Durham University on Classics in the North-East: Exciting New Initiatives.
- 7 September 2022, lecture on Aeschylus’ Agamemnon to KCL Healing Classics Conference
- 6 September 2022 lecture to Cambridge Writers.
- 1-3 September, Keynote at Zurich conference on Classics and European Identity on Shakespeare’s Cymbeline and Rome.
- Aug 26-28 2022 lecture at Euroclassica Conference, Nicosia, Cyprus on using Ancient Near Eastern Literature in teaching classical epic.
- July 2 2022, preperformance talk at Thiasos Theatre’s performance of Cyclops at The Space, Isle of Dogs.
- 29 June 2022, record Nat Haynes Stands Up for the Classics live at BBC.
- 27 June 2022, receive Honorary Doctorate from University of Durham.
- 25 June 2022, pre-screening talk on Tony Harrison’s Prometheus to event in Leeds organised by Richard Burgon MP.
- June 24 lecture on Tony Harrison’s Herculaneum to Durham conference on the reception of fragments since Modernism.
- June 23, preperformance talk before KCL Greek play The Plague of Thebes at the Greenwood Theatre.
- June 17 Lecture on English 18th-century adaptations of Terence’s Eunuchus at Oxford. Uni.
- June 16 Lecture on Aristophanes’ Clouds to Durham conference on the ancient image of the intellectual.
- June 7th 2022, opening speech at the Athens & Epidauros Festival event ANTIGONISMS, 1800.
- May 26 2022, lecture on Ozymandias to Lampeter and Mid-Wales branch of the Classical Association.
- Apriil 23 Lecture at Edinburgh University’s Greek Day on Working-Class Scottish Classicists.
- April 19-22 2022, lectures in Seattle at Washington University.
- April 7 2022, Lecture at University College Dublin.March 18 2022, lecture at conference in honour of Michael Silk at Oxford University.
- March 3 2022, speaker at Cambridge Union debate on the legacy of the British Empire.
- March 1, 2021, Lecture to Aberdeen Classical Association on The Shield of Achilles
- February 16, talk on Sappho for New College of the Humanities LGBTQ+ Society, 1700.
- 11-12 November 2021, Lecture at Baltic States Conference on The Shield of Achilles.
- 10 November Gresham Lecture, Adventures in the Ancient Library.
- 3 November Lecture at St Andrews on Tony Harrison’s classicism.
- 24 October online talk to St Andrews University conference A Proletarian Classics?
- 21 October Lecture at Padua University on Women Classicists.
- 10-13 October 2021, Lecture at first Benaki festival, Kardamyli, Messenia.
- September 23-5 2021, Keynote at Foundation of Hellenic Culture conference on Ancient Greek Theatre.
- September 21-3 2021, keynote at Tbilisi conference, “The Ancient and Byzantine World in the Light of Interdisciplinary Research”
- September 9-10 Paper at KCL conference on Classics and Emotions
- September 2 2021, Lecture to Aarhus conference on the Iliad in the 21st Century.
- August 21 2021, Virtual Lecture to Classical Wisdom, ‘Ozymandias since 1989’.
- June 28 2021, contribution to KCL virtual Greek play.
- June 23-26 2021, paper at Symposium Cumanum on the Aeneid and working-class readers.
- June 22 Talk at KCL Open Day on Alienated Young People in Greek Tragedy
- June 7 2021 Talk on the Aeneid at Poet in the City event at Wilton’s Music Hall.
- June 7 2021, contribution to Kate Bosher memorial on APGRD youtube channel.
- June 4 2021 talk to Birkbeck Classics Society.
- May 31st 2021 Keynote Speaker at Newcastle University conference, ‘Class and Classics. Historiography, Reception, Challenges’.
- May 27 2021, Gresham Lecture on Stoics, Cynics and Epicureans. 1300.
- May 18 2021, Chairing Virtual Symposium on Papadiamantis, Cambridge centre for Hellenic Studies.
- May 17 2021, address to Classics for All.
- May 13 2021, Newell speaker at St. John’s College Cambridge.
- May 10 2021, interview with Kevin Wilmott on CHI-RAQ on APGRD’s youtube channel.
- May 8 2021, Talk with Dr Magdalena Zira at ICS conference on women in Classics.
- April 28 2021, appearance on Oxford virtual Greek play.
- 9th April talk to Amsterdam conference on ‘Inclusive Classics’.
- April 6-8, panel on People’s Classics at CA virtual annual conference.
- March 20 2021, 1400 Talk with Dr Henry Stead to Socialist History Society on A People’s History of Classics.
- Tuesday 16 March, Sovereign Education lecture on Athenian democracy.
- March 10 2021, lecture on Aristophanes to Harvard Law students.
- March 5 2021, Munk debate on Plato versus Aristotle.
- March 4 2021, Gresham Lecture on Aristotle. 1300.
- Feb. 18, talk to UC San Diego on women and Classics
- 11 Feb 2021 Keynote on Xenophon’s Anabasis to Europaeum Oxford conference Slavery: Antiquity and Modernity in Dialogue
- 30 Jan. 2021, lecture on Aristophanes to Rio de Janeiro Pontifical University.
- 29 Jan. 2021, Address to Durham University Students’ Union on the Parthenon.
- 26 January, talk on Aristotle to Humanities Honours Program of Utrecht University.
- 12 December 2020, lecture on Aristotle to Philosophy Society at Rio de Janeiro Pontifical University.
- 26 November, Gresham College lecture on Plato 1300.
- 23 November 2020, Seminar at Archive of Performances of Greek & Roman Drama, Oxford, with Henry Stead, on A People’s History of Classics
- 21 November 2020, delivery of one-day course o Homer and Troy, Colchester WEA.
- 18 November 2021, speaker at virtual conference, RHUL, on Euripides’ Iphigenia in Tauris
- 11 November 2020, debate with Tom Holland at virtual meeting of Oxford University Classical Society.
- 14 October 2020, virtual guest lecture on Thomas Carlyle, University of St. Andrews undergraduate Classics programme.
- October 4 2020, presentation at Athens virtual conference on Salamis and Democracy.
- 25 September 2020, lecture at Aarhus Iniversity, ‘Greet Danish Women Classicists: An Adventure in the History of Scholarship’.
- May 28th 2020, Gresham Public Lecture on ancient Greek Science, 3 of 3.
- March 6th 2020, British Museum evening event on Homer.
- March 5, Gresham Public Lecture on Ancient Greek Science, 2 of 3.
- Friday 21 February 2020, Panel discussing Neville Morley’s dramatised reading of the Melian Dialogue.
- Jan 21 2020, Talk at North Wall, Oxford.
- December 6th, talk at British Museum on Troy.
- November 28th, Gresham Public Lecture on Ancient Greek Science 1 of 3.
- November 27 2019 Lecture on Homer in the 21st century for the British School of Athens at the British Academy.
- November 17th, Talk on Homer and Women in Nicosia, Cyprus.
- November 8th-9th, lecture at opening of University of Chicago’s Center for Hellenic Studies.
- November 7th 2019, Talk on Classics and Class at Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois.
- October 24 2019 Keynote at Genoa conference on ancient oratory and drama.
- October 20, panellist at Cambridge Greek Play Symposium.
- October 16, 1800, Speaking on Panel “Homer Today” chaired by Martha Kearney at Senate House, London.
- October 10 2019, Talk at Palermo Book Festival.
- October 4 2019, Talk at kasino am kempelenpark, Vienna, on Karl Marx and the Classics after production of Thyestes by Seneca.
- September 12-13 2019, Co-convening conference Time, Tense & Genre in Ancient Greek Literature at King’s College London.
- 9th September 2019, Talk to Lincolnshire Historical Assocation on Greeks in Roman Britain.
- Classical Association Panels, July 6th-7th 2019, on classical subjects in state schools and Classics and Communism.
- 28th June 2019, talk at launch event of Cambridge Centre for Greek Studies.
- 30th May 2019, Gresham Public Lecture on Aristotle’s Lyceum.
- 24th May 2019, Paper at Warsaw conference Our Mythical Childhood on Young Adult versions of Plutarch
- 22nd May 2019, Keynote to Prague conference on ancient drama.
- Keynote to Postgraduate Conference on the family in antiquity, University of Reading, 24th April 2019.
- April 5th 2019, John C. Rouman Classical Lecture at the University of New Hampshire.
- Talk at launch of Forward with Classics, Oxford Faculty of Classics, 30th March 2019.
- March 23, 2019 talk on Antigone at conference on Psychoanalysis and the Classics, Institute of Psychoanalysis.
- March 15th 2019, presentation at 50th anniversary meeting of Dutch Classical Association, Utrecht.
- 7th March 2019, Gresham Public Lecture on The Athenian Cemetery and Pericles’ Funeral Speech
- Saturday 2nd March 2019, talk to Essex branch of Historical Association in Chelmsford, 1430, ‘Some Ancient Greeks in Roman Britain’.
- 14th February 2019, talk before King’s College London Greek play.
- Fridy 8th February lecture on Roman comedy at McGill University, Montreal.
- 6th February, Lecture at the University of Kent Greek Literature seminar on Women in the Iliad.
- 2nd February 2019, lecture on Sophocles, Aristotle and Tyrants at Wake Forest University conference, North Carolina.
- Talk on Aristotle’s Way at Source Boksellers, Detroit, 19th January 2019, 1600.
- 18th January 2019, talk at conference on Aristotle’s Ethics, Northwestern University Illinois.
- 15th January 2019, USA launch of Aristotle’s Way, Seminary Co-op, 57th Street Books Chicago.
- 15th January 2019, lunchtime lecture on Euripides’ Hippolytus at University of Chicago.
- 7th December 2018, talk at National Theatre on Shakespeare and the Roman Empire.
- 1st December 2018, discussion of Oedipus with David Bell at UCL conference of psychiatrists.
- 29th November 2018 Gresham Public Lecture on the Athenian theatre of Dionysus.
- 24th November 2018, 1500 Talk on Aristotle’s Way at Folkestone Literary Festival.
- 23rd November, British Museum event on ancient satire.
- 13th November, lecture to Newcastle University Classics Society.
- 7th November, Southampton Schools Conference.
- 27th October 2018, Lecture on early 18th-century Classical textbooks at Oxford conference in honour of Dr Chris Stray.
- October 23-25 2018, talking tour on Aristotle’s Way in the Netherlands.
- October 18-20 2018, Papers at University of Kazan Conference, Reception and Transformation of Antiquity.
- 10th October 1800, Talk at Cheltenham Festival on Aristotle’s Way
- October 6th -2018, talk at Admiralty House conference on classical reception.
- September 25-26, 2018, Keynote Lecture to conference at Tbilisi University, Georgia.
- September 19th, talk to Guildford Classical Association.
- 17th September, talk at Prospect Book Club on Aristotle’s Way
- 24th August 2018, talk at Euroclassica Conference, UCL, on Classical Education in State Schools.
- Sunday 19th August, 1400, Spark Theater, Edinburgh,
- Talk to Edinburgh Festival
on Aristotle’s Way.
- Saturday 4th August, 1100 a.m. interviewed by Nigel Warburton,
- Philosophy in the Bookshop at Blackwell’s Oxford.
18th-19th July 2018, Convenor of KCL conference with Drs Henry Stead (OU) and Tom Geue (St Andrews),
- Classics, The Left & The Sublime
10th July 2018, lecture on trials in Athenian drama to Hellenic Australian Lawyers’ Association conference in Rhodes.
- 8th July 2018, lecture to Epidauros Lyceum.
- 6th June 2018, Lecture to Israel Society for the Promotion of Classics Annual Conference
: Why are the Erinyes Female: Reflections on Gender and Revenge”.
28th May 2018, Talk at Hay on Wye
Literary Festival on
- Aristotle’s Way
- 25th May 2018, Talk at Bath Literary Festival
on Aristotle’s Way
- 24th May 2018, talk at Salon London on Aristotle’s Way
- 18th May 2018, Keynote Lecture, Historical Association Annual Conference, Stratford upon Avon: ‘Classical Education in the Wooden O: Shakespeare’s Groundlings go to Rome”.
- History Today Public Event at the Institute of Historical Research
, evening of 17th May 2018, 1830, ‘History without Borders’.
- 15th May 2018, Talk at Newcastle upon Tyne Lit. and Phil. on Aristotle’s Way
- 10th May, Swindon Literary Festival talk 1830 on Aristotle’s Way
- 26th April 2018, Lecture at conference on the performance history of Medea
, Uppsala and Stockholm, ‘Pushing the Boundaries of Operatic Convention and European Identity: Generic and Historical Perspectives on Georg Benda’s 1775
- Medea .’
19th April 2018, lecture at Brisbane Cyrpus House.
16th April 2018, Lecture at Nicholson Museum, Sydney.
14th April 2018,lecture at Melbourne Hellenic Club.
13th April 2018, Lecture at Adelaide University.
12th April 2018, lecture at Hobart University, Tasmania.
10th April 2018, Lecture at Wellington University, New Zealand.
Visiting Professor Lecture on
- Aesop at Gresham College
, March 8th 2018.
Feb. 6th-March 15th 2018, Visiting Lectures on Aeschylus as Spinoza Researcher, University of Leiden.
Feb. 1 and 2 2018, Visiting Lectures on Aristotle, New Materialism and Women Classicists at Depts of Political Science and Classics, Northwestern University, Illinois.
- CHS Harvard Lecture, Nafplio,
on tyrants, deiberation and democracy in Sophocles & Aristotle, 26th January 2018.
- Durham Castle Lecture
, ‘Aristotle Goes to the Movies’, January 24th 2018, 2000.
Visiting Professor Lecture on
- Sappho and the Age of Tyrants
at Gresham College, Jan. 18th 2018.
November 28th 2017, Lecture at University of Zurich.
Wiedemann Lecture, November 23rd 2017, Nottingham.
- Visiting Professor Lecture
at Gresham College, 23rd November 2017 at 1300.
November 21st 2017, King’s College London, Council Room: Interview with Professor Emily Wilson on translating Homer.
November 20th 2017, Sovereign Education Lecture on Greek Drama.
November 16th 2017, Event marking the 30th Anniversary of Bernal’s
- Black Athena
, Policy Exchange, Westminster, with Tom Holland and Kwasi Kwarteng.
Lecture at Leeds University on Tony Harrison and Radical Classics, 11th November 2017.
Lecture to Classical Society, St. John’s College Cambridge, 2nd November 2017.
28th October, talks at
- Heffer’s Classics Event
Trinity College Dublin Classical Society Lecture, 23rd October 2018.
- Penn Museum Lecture
at UPenn, Philadelphia, 18th October 2017.
- ‘Discovery Themes’ Lecture
at Ohio State University (Columbus), “Aristotle at the Movies”, 16th October 2017.
Lecture at Columbia University, New York, on
- Black Sea Myths and Modern Europe
, 6th October 2017.
- British Library Public Event
on the Legacy of Ancient Greece, 1900, October 3rd 2017.
27th September 2017, Public Lecture on Samuel Butler’s translations of Homer at Biblioteca Fardelliana di Trapani, Sicily.
Keynote Lecture to Tbilisi State University Conference on
- Medea in World Culture
, 17-21 September 2017
- Cambridge University Inset Day
on Classical Civilisation, 7th July 2017.
July 6th 2017 Lecture at New College, Oxford to accompany Thiasos theatre company’s performance of BACCHAE.
- conference Aristophanic Laughter:
- How Was/Is Old Comedy Funny
at King’s College London, 3-4 July 2017.
Lecture on Ezra Pound and the Classics to
- 27th Ezra Pound Society International Conference
at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, June 20, 2017.
YORK FESTIVAL talk, Tuesday 13th June.
- J.P. BARRON MEMORIAL LECTURE:
Institute of Classical Studies, London, 1700 on 7th June 2017. ‘Classicist Foremothers and Why They Matter’.
- In Comversation with Tony Harrison
, 1900, Bloomsbury House Great Russell St.
24th May 2017
- Classical Civilisation Training Day for teachers
, Senate House, London.
21st May 2017, paper to
- conference in honour of Angus Bowie
, ‘Hephaestus and the Early History of Comedy’, University of Oxford.
‘Katabasis and Laughter’, 20th May 2017, Keynote to Warwick University Conference, Department for English and Comparative Literature and Humanities Research Centre,
- Descent into the Classical Underworld
, organised by Madeleine Scherer.
May 11th-12th 2017, keynote lecturer,
- conference on Euripides
and the visual arts at Gardzienice Centre for Theatre Practices.
May 8th 2017, 1830,
- Panellist at LSE Forum on ‘Celebrity.’
ADVOCATING CLASSICS EDUCATION talk at Reigate College, May 8th 1300.
CONFERENCE CONVENOR 27th-28th April 2017–
- New Light on Tony Harrison
, King’s College Centre for Hellenic Studies at the British Academy.
“The Politics of the Supernatural in Aristophanes”, paper at conference
- The Comic Supernatural
in Comparative Literature Department, UCLA, April 21 and 22, 2017.
8th April 2017, paper on Tony Harrison’s poetry and classical literature,
- study day at Oxford University Department of Continuing Education
6th March 2017, lecture on the
for Sovereign Education, London.
3rd March 2016, Tom Henn Memorial Lecture, St Catherine’s College, Cambridge.
1st March 2017, discussant at Wadham College debate on the Parthenon sculptures, British Museum.
27th Feb. 2017, paper at Northwestern uni Political Science Colloquium on
- Sovereignty and Demagogues
24th February 2017, Lecture to Classics Department at Northwestern University Illinois.
15th February 2017, ‘Aristotle and the Idea of a University’, lecture on accepting Honorary Doctorate at the University of Athens.
13th February 2017, 2030, Book Signing at Ianos Bookstore, Stadiou Street, Athens
9th February 2017, Lecture on
Prometheus Bound before King’s College London Greek Play.
8th February 2017. talk on Euripides’
- Iphigenia at Aulis, Norton Knatchbull School, Kent.
7th February 2017, Lecture for Sovereign Education on the
- Aeneid, London.
30th January 2017, lecture to Cambridge University Classics Society.
19th January 2017, lecture to meeting of
- Dorsetshire Schools, Leweston School.
18th January 2017, Lecture to Classics Society, National University of Ireland, Galway.
- 10th January 2017, Lecture at Classics Evening, Guildford High School.
- 2-3 December 2016, Paper on 19th-century women classicists at conference on gender and the history of classical scholarship, Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa.
- 29th November 2017, chairing Professor Margaret Reynolds’ Inaugural Lecture, QMUL.
- 29th November 2016, talk on Classics nd Citizenship at Cobham Free School in Hampton Court.
- 11 November 2016, Keynote address at Open University conference, ‘Married to the military–soldiers’ families in the ancient world and beyond’.
- 29 October 2016, talks on tragedy and historyat Classics Day, Heffer’s Bookstore, Cambridge.
- Plenary address on Ancient Women’s Responses to Myth at the IV International Conference on Mythcriticism, Oct. 27 2016, University Computense of Madrid.
- 17th October 2016, talk on concept of PLAY at Arts & Humanities Research Centre, King’s College London, 1900.
- 12th October 2016 Lecture at National Hellenic Research Foundation, Athens, on the Birds of Aristophanes.
- 6th October 2016, Interview with Steve Hunt at Bloomsbury Institute/Classics for All event Teaching Classics in the Modern World, 50 Bedford Square.
- 14th September 2016, Talk on Aristotelian Virtue Ethics to the Circle of European Communicators, Athens.
- 12th September 2016, Paper on Aristophanes and Medicine, Patras University, Greece, at conference ‘Morbid Laughter’ organised by George Kazantzidis and Natalia Tsoumpra.
- Programme designer and Presenter, Poet in the City event with Simon Callow, at British Museum, 1900 on 2nd September 2016
- 30th August 2016 Panellist at Tristan Bates Theatre discussing‘Tis Pity She’s a Whore after Lazarus production.
18th July 2016, Varn Dean College, Brighton.
- 21st June 2016, 1730, Keynote Lecture to Notre Dame conference at Royal Irish Academy, Dublin,‘Classics & Irish Politics’, to memorialise Easter Uprising, Trinity College Dublin.
17th June 2016–paper at UCL conference on the Politics of Form, organised by Professor Phiroze Vasunia.
- 11th June 2016, SPHS lecture celebrating Aristotle’s imminent 2400th birthday.
- 10th June, paper to University of Patras conference on Classical Reception & the Human.
- 3rd-4th June 2016–Organising international conference Classics And/As World Literature, King’s College London.
27th May 2016, paper on Homer, International Symposium on Comparative Literature, Keimyung University, Daegu, South Korea.
18th May 2016, talk on ancient rhetoric to London Arts and Humanities Graduate Student conference at UCL.
15th May 2016, keynote lecture to conference on innovation in Euripidean theatre, Gardzienice Centre for Theatre Practices, Poland.
- 13th May 2016, paper on Cheiron the Centaur as narrator to ‘Chasing Mythical Beasts’; conference, Artes Liberales, Warsaw.
- 5th May 2016, talk on the factory workers who made 19th-century classically themed pottery to King’s College Symposium.
28th April 2016 Talk to Lytham St. Anne’s Classics Association.
Camden High School, talk on why the ancient Greeks matter, 1630 March 2nd 2016.
- 26th February 2016, post-show talk at the Cockpit Theatre about Hippolytus production by Thiasos Theatre.
- 25th February 2016, Jewish Book Week debate with Professor Tessa Rajak on Jews in the Clasical World, King’s Place London, 1900.
February 17th 2016, EITNER lecture, Stanford University.
- February 15th 2016, lecture on Aristophanes’Birds at UCLA.
- 11th February 2016, pre-performance lecture on Euripides’ Alcestis before King’s College London Greek play.
- 8th February, ICS Classical Literature Seminar, paper on Aristophanes’ Knights and democracy.
- 6th February 2016, talk at English Touring Opera on Gluck’s Iphigenie en Tauride.
3rd February 2016, talk at Worcester Secondary School.
Friday 29th January 2016, Keynote Lecture on Lucretius’, Atheism and the myth of Iphigenia, conference at University of Nottingham.
Respondent at panel on ancient theatre and materiality, American Classical Society annual meeting, San Francisco 8th January 2016.
26th November 2015, talk to Twickenham History Society.
24th November, talk on tragedy to Sovereign Education, London.
- 18th November, 1800, panel with Bettany Hughes on ancient cities & utopias at Bristol Festival of the Future City:video
Talk on Classical Civilisation at Classical Association/6th-form conference, Bishop Wordsworth’s School, Salisbury, 17th November 2016 at 1800.
- Panellist at Poet in the City event celebrating Ted Hughes, 16th November 2015.
- Lecture at conference, University of Vienna, on Ancient Theatre beyind the Canon, 13th-14th November 2015.
- ‘Why the ancient Greeks matter’, lecture to Classics 6th Form Conference Day at St. Swithun’s, Winchester, November 12th 2015.
- Paper on Dio Chrysostom’s 61st Oration to University of Cyprus Classical Seminar, 1930, 3rd November 2015.
- Talk on Iphigenia in Aulis, workshopat Nicosia Theatro Ena with Magdalena Zira, Cyprus 2nd November 2015 2000.
- Lecture on Aristophanes to University of Cyprus, 2nd November 2011, 0900.
- Wantage Literary Festival, 1400 on 30th October,Introducing the Ancient Greeks.
- Two lectures to the International College of Geneva, 27th October 2015.
- In dialogue at Almeida Theatre event 1800 on 22nd October 2015, From Aristotle to Albert Square.
- ‘Aristophanes’ Knights: rhetoric & democracy‘, video lecture (password hall) to Kalamata conference on classical drama and oratory, 22nd October 2015.
- KCL Classics Departmental festival, ‘The post-democratic political theory of Aristotle’sPoetics‘, Room 0.18, KCL Strand.
- Lecture to KCL festival on the earliest demotic Greek novel and the Odyssey, 1730 on 19th October 2015, Council Room KCL.
- Lecture to Norwegian Classical Society at the Norwegian Academy, 17th October 2015.
- Wimbledon Literary Festival, 11th October 2015, 1515 in William Morris Tent, Introducing the Ancient Greeks.
- With Tom Holland and Peter Stothard, Why Classics Matter Today, London Literary Weekend, 4th October 2015, King’s Place.
- 2nd October 2015, Lecture at Cornell University.
- 30th September 2015, lecture at University of Georgia (Athens).
- ERASMUS LECTURE, Darmstadt, 7th September 2015. ‘ “Master of those who know: Aristotle as role model for the 21st-century academician” ‘
- In discussion at Almeida Theatre, Oedipus Explored event with Bijan Sheibani, 1500, 6th September.
- Lecture on Aeschylus’Oresteiato Institute of Ideas.18th Juy 2015.
- Getty Villa Council Lecture on Conflict Resolution in Classical Athens, 28th June 2015.
- 18th June 2015, ‘Ypres and the Limits of War Poetry: David Jones’ “In Parenthesis”, keynote lecture at London University conference on War and Memorialisation.
- 17th June 2015, lecture on social class and the Tragic, Free University Berlin Comparative Literature seminar.
- Talk on Introducing the Ancient Greeks at York Festival of Ideas, 9th June 2015.
- GAISFORD LECTURE, ‘Pearls before Swine: the Past and Future of Greek’, University of Oxford, 4th June 2015.
- Public talk onIntroducing the Ancient Greeksat Hay-on-Wye Literary Festival, May 23rd 2015.
- ‘The classical form of autobiography and 19th-century working-class self-representation’, Cambridge University workshop on classical form in Victorian literature, 21st May 2015.
- Lecture at Istituto Nazionale Dramma Anticoin Syracuse, Sicily, 20th May 2015.
- Interviewing Helen McCrory on acting Medea, APGRD Oxford, 11th May, 1415.
- Schools lecture to Bath pupils, at Downside School, ‘Pentheus in Euripides and Ovid’, 24th April 2015.
- 22nd April at 7.00 pm, talk at Lord Leycester’s Hospital, Warwick for Kenilworth Books onIntroducing the Ancient Greeks
- BLUHM SCHOLARS lecture and seminar, Hunter College, CUNY, New York City, 16th-17th April 2015.
- Lecture on Euripidean drama to Hackney University Extension Scheme, 16th March 2015.
- Panellist at LSE Literary Festival event on the ancient roots of modern culture, 28th February 2015.
- Lecture on Greek tragedy to Hackney University Extension Scheme, 23rd Feb, 2015.
- Talk on Romare Bearden’s African American visualisations of the Odyssey, Conference on Dearden, Columbia University, 21st February 2015.
- Seminar speaker at Department of Classics, Northwestern University IL, 19th Feb. 2015.
- Panellist at event on ancient Greek theatre today at UCL, 1630 on Friday 13th February 2015.
- British Academy event on papyri, ‘Pulp Fiction and the Greeks’, 1800 on 11th February 2015.
- Lecture by Skype to Mainz University conference on Cultural History, ‘Theatre and Ciltural History, 9.00 a.m. 10th February 2015
- ‘Theatrical dreams in Greek drama, Plutarch and Artemidorus’, St Hilda’s Classical Society, Oxrord, 28th January 2015, 1730 pm.
- Paper on Greek-themed radical theatre in 1917, at conference on Classical Theatre and Communism, Warsaw, 16th January 2015.
- Talk on Sophocles’ Philoctetes to introduce performance at the Yard Theatre, Hackney, 1830 on 25th November 2014.
- Talk on Sophocles’ theatre at Old Vic theatre (to introduce performance of Electra starring Kristin Scott Thomas, directed by Ian Rickson) 11th November 2014.
- Talks to Year 3 and Year 4 on Greek gods and Roman soldiers, Stanford Primary School, Norbury, 4th November 2014/
- ‘Two thousand years of ancient Greeks’, Heffers’ Classics Forum, Cambridge, 11.30, 1st November 2014.
- ‘The Odyssey in medieval Ireland’, paper to Ljubljana Classics Department conference, ‘TheOdyssey between Greece and the Latin West’, 15th November 2014.
- ‘Lloyd-George, Caractacus, and the Welsh Recruitment Drive’, paper to CRASH seminar at Cambridge University, 27th November 2014.
- ‘‘Blood, Sex and Death‘ Panellist at Cheltenham Literature Festival, 10th October 2014.
- ‘Feathering the colonial nest in Aristophanes’Birds‘, paper at Aristophanes symposium, Queen’s College, Oxford, October 4th 2014
- ‘How to do things with Cleon’, paper at Cambridge conference in honour of Paul Cartledge, How to Do Things with History, 26th-27th September 2014.
- Keynote address to XXXIII Semana de Estudos Clássicos, Rio de Janeiro, 24th September 2014 (II Simpósio Internacional de Estudos Clássicos) ‘Interrogating democracy in Aeschylus’ Eumenides’.
- Why the Ancient Greeks Matter Today’, talk to Christ the King Sixth-Form College, Lewisham, 17th September 2014
- ‘Cavafy’s pasts: Alexandria and Byzantium’,Poet in the Cityevent, King’s Place, 15th September 2014.
- ‘Palladas’ Scoptic Voice and its Influence’, at joint UCL/KCL conference on the new Palladas papyrus, 4th-5th September 2014.
- Panellist, Acts of Madness with psychiatrist Professor Femi Oyebode at the National Theatre on Euripides’ Medea, August 19th 2014.
- ‘How to make a persuasive speech in the Athenian imperial democracy: Demosthenes’, Cambridge University Summer School Plenary Lecture, 17th July 2014.
- ‘The tragedians of Heraclea and Comedians of Sinope’, paper at Centre for Hellenic Studies, King’s College London conference, Ancient Greek Theatre in the Black Sea, 5th July 2014.
- “Into the Moral Labyrinth of Schimmel-pfennig’sIdomeneus“, presentation as part of Notting Hill Gate Theatre series Debates at the Gate, 3rd July 2014.
- “Greek Tragedy” and “Aristophanic Comedy”, two lectures for Keynote Educational, London, 25th June 2014
- “Sophocles’Antigone“, introductory lecture to Greek play at Bradfield College, 20th June 2014.
- Invited lecture at University of Munich, 17th June 2014: “Falls from high and low estate: tragedy and social class in historical perspective”.
- Skype plenary lecture on the figure of the Fury to conference on Classics and Fiction, Bar-Ilan University, Israel. 16th-18th June 2014.
- Presentation at one-day conferenceGender Equality Now, the Oxford Centre for Reseach in Humanities. University of Oxford, 10th June 2014.
- “Aristotle’s theory of tragic katharsis in its contexts”, to Corpus Christi Classical Society, Oxford, 20th May 2014.
- “Greek Minds and the Sea”, Classical Association/Society for Promotion of Hellenic Studies Lecture, Cardiff University, 8th May 2014.
- “Class-conscious approaches to Classics”, joint paper with Henry Stead, Swansea University, May 7th 2014, 1630.
- British Museum lecture on women in ancient drama for OCR Classics, 2nd May 2014.
- Lectures on Homer, Virgil and the Persian Wars to state school pupils at Thomas Hardye School, Dorset, 28th April 2014.
- Two-day syllabus for 6th-formers at TEACH FIRST/Higher Education Access Partnership Scheme residential course, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, 15th-16th April 2014. Co-taught with Sophie Lunn-Rockliffe, Henry Stead, and Tom Mackenzie.
- Lecture series on ancient Greek philosophy, drama and political theory at Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, April 6th-10th 2014.
- “Greek drama in the London community: past perspectives and future potential”, to launch of the CAPITAL CLASSICS initiative, UCL.
- “Ides of March” lecture,The Greeks & the Sea, Portsmouth Grammar School, 13th March 2014.
- Lecture for Sovereign Education on Heroism in the Odyssey
- Advocating Classical Civilisation and Ancient History
27 February 2024 Talk at Kelmscott School, Walthamstow.
21 November 2023 Talk at Oxford Girls High Schools Conference on Women in Antiquity.
18 July 2023 Two Plenary sessions introducing Classics and Ancient History to Years 7 and 8 at St Antony’s School, Sunderland.
20 May 2023, Day Event on Greek Drama for primary school pupils at Durham Oriental Museum
8 March 2023 Talk on Vergil’s Dido at Classics Sixth-Form Conference, Cardinal Vaughan School, London
10 February 2023 Talk on Greek Tragedy at West London Schools conference, Notting Hill and Ealing High School
21 October 2022, talk on barbarians to Thomas School, Suffolk.
- 24 July 2022, talk on Vergil to Harrogate Latin Summer Camp.
- May 5 2022, talk on Medea to Loughborough schools.
- 10 March 2022, talk on Odyssey to Reigate School.
- 8 Feb. 2022, Greek and Roman Epic Heroes for Sovereign Education.
- 24 November 2021 Talk at The Cotswold School, Bourton on the Water
- 21 September 2021 1730 virtual talk King Edward School Birmingham on Aristotle.
- 14 July talk to London and south-east schools consortium on Aristotle and Aspiration.
- 24 March 2021 talk on Dido to King’s College and other schools
- 16 March talk to several schools in Winchester.
- 25 February 2021, talk to St. Albans School Classical Civilisationists.
- 23 February talk to S Albans and other schools.
- 19 Feb. Talk to St. Mary’s School, Calne, Wilts.
- 10 Feb., talk on Ethics to Bede’s School.
- 9 Feb. Talk to North London Collegiate and other schools.
- 25 Jan. 2021, talk on Homer to Cambourne Village College.
- 19th January, talk to St Antony’s Academy, Sunderland.
- 9 December 2020 virtual talk to A-Level Ancient Historians at Winstanly College, Manchester.
- 19 November 2020, virtual presentation on Sappho and Homer to St. Marylebone School.
- 9 October 2020, virtual presentation on Classical Civilisation to St Anthony’s Girls’ Catholic Academy, Sunderland.
- 6 October 2020, virtual presentation to Brentwood and other Essex schools Classics and Philosophy students.
- 7 August 2020, talk to Academus Virtua; Summer School on the Myth of the Cyclops.
- 17 September 2020, talk on Sappho at Durham Sixth-Form Centre.
- 17 September 2020, talk on ancient women at Royal Grammar School, Newcastle.
- 11 March Public Event, St Andrews University
- 4 November, Talk to pupils from Maidstone Grammar School on World of the Hero at KCL.
- 16 and 30 October, talks at Newham 6th-Form College.
- 7 October 2019, training day at Oxford Spires Academy
- 3 October 2019, talk on World of the Hero to pupils from state schools and Francis Holland School, Regent’s Part.
- 15 September 2019, talk to GCSE pupils, Hope Valley College, Derbyshire.
- 22-26 July 2019 Co-convening Summer School for Teachers at King’s College London.
- 7th March 2020, Judging competition at Lytham St Anne’s Classical Association branch.
- 19th September 2019, talk at Awards Evening, Calston Grammar School, Lincolnshire.
- July 22nd to 26th, running course on teaching Classical Civilisation at King’s College London.
- July 1st 2019 Talk at Trouble Club on Aristotle.
- 29th June 2019, Talk on Greek Theatre to CATB training day for Classical Civilisation teachers at ICS.
- 18th June 2019, talk on the Iliad at Teacher’s course The World of the Hero at KCL.
- 1st April 2019, ACE Public Event at the Open University.
- 29th March 2019, talk to Bishop Thomas Grant School.
- Wednesday 20th March, talk to Girls’ School Assocation.
- Tuesday 19th March, talk at St. Marylebone School, London.
- March 13th 2019, talk at King’s College London Open Day.
- Friday 8th March, St Olave’s School, London.
- Thursday 7th March, Talk on Odyssey for Sovereign Education, London.
- March 6th 2019, talk at St Brendan’s 6th-form College, Bristol.
- March 5th 2019, Talk at Clevedon School, Somerset.
- March 1st 2019, after-dinner speaker at William Perkins School Guildford.
- February 12th 2019, Brentwood School Classical Civilisation conference.
- February 5th 2019, talk on Classical Civilisation at Mossbourne Community Academy.
- February 5th 2019, Sovereign Education 5th-form conference talk on Classical Civilisastion World of the Hero.
- Wednesday 30th January, Dartford Grammar School.
- Monday 28th January, Blackpool Sixth-Form College and St. John’s Primary School.
- Talk on the Parthenon at Surbiton Classics Society, 14th December 2018, 1800.
- Talk on Classical Civilisation at Harris Academy Chafford HUndred, 14th December 2018, 1100 am.
- St Marylebone School, 5th December 2018, 1530.
- 19th November, 2 lectures at Sovereign Education 6th-Form conference on Love and Relationships Classical Civilisation option.
- 16th November, Horizon Lecture, King’s College Taunton.
- 16th November 2018, talk on Homer at Richard Huish Sixth-Form College, Taunton.
- 7th November, Southampton Schools Conference.
- 11th October, Talk at Cirencester 6th-form College
- 9th October 2018, Talk at Bristol Royal Grammar School.
- 5th October, Solihull Sixth-Form College.
- Talk to Greenshaw High School, Sutton, South London, September 6th 2018.
- Southampton Schools Conference, November 7th 2018.
- Solihull 6th-form college, 4th October 2018.
- 6th September 2018, talk at Greenshaw High School, Sutton.
- Warwick University Public Event, July 2nd 2018.
- Roehampton Public Event, 21st June 2018.
- Reading Public Event, 17th May 2018.
- Swansea University Public Event, 11th May 2018.
- Glasgow University Public Event, 28th March 2018.
- Harris Academy Chafford Hundred, 1400 on 22nd March 2018.
- Shrewsbury Sixth-Form College, 20th March 2018.
- Hills Road Sixth-Form College, Cambridge, 19th March 2018.
- Queen’s University Belfast Public Event. 9th February 2018.
- Exeter University Public Event, 3rd February 2018.
- Bristol Public Event at Bath Roman Baths., 29th January 2018.
- Colchester Royal Grammar School, 17th January 2018.
- Thomas Mills School, Framlington, Suffolk, 17th January 2018.
- Nower Hill School, 12th January 2018.
- Haberdashers Aske’s School, 10th January 2018.
- University of Leeds Public Event, December 13th 2017.
- Sydenham High School, 6th December 2017, 1600.
- Henrietta Barnett School, 1600 on 20th November, Hampstead Garden Suburb.
- Public Event on Classical Subject qualifications at Kent University, 30th September 2017.
- Charlotte Easton Memorial Classics Lecture, Emanuel School, 1600 28th September 2017.
- Friday 15th September, Worcester Sixth-Form College.
- Address to teachers at ARLT Summer school, 1st August 2017.
- Redborne School Milton Keynes, 17th July 20017.
- Thomas Hardye School, Dorset, July 10th 2017.
- Lecture at Cambridge University Inset Day on Classical Civilisation, 7th July 2017.